Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Another Tuesday - It's Pirate time!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The World's End is a very long movie indeed, spanning nearly 3 hours from start to credit and you know what?...it feels that way too! Lucky we went to an earlier session, otherwise, I think I would have fallen asleep midway into the movie :) There you go, in a nutshell, this is how I think about the movie unfortunately.

It's way too long for the story and to make thing worse, it involves far too many characters which I think fail to connect with their audience. Forget about Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain Barbossa is back thanks to Calypso, the goddess of sea trapped in human form by her lover, Davy Jones. It's Barbossa who leads the show this time round I think and thank god he does well to keep me interested at time.

Oh, just throw loyalty out of the window in this movie. In fact, betrayal is the most apt theme for this installment; betrayal of trust, betrayal of love, betrayal of friendship, betrayal of promises and there are plenty of it.

Saying that, I think this third installment is much better than the inferior second film, which until now I still can't fully comprehend...or is it just me? The movie excels visually and the epic ship battle is nothing short of spectacular but a tad too drawn out. Love the flying cannon monkey though :)

Overall, I give it 2.5 out of 5.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked monkey too! ^^ so cute it's like a little human...jin