Friday, May 25, 2007

Myths vs Facts: Part II

OK...Windows Vista isn't that new anymore, but from what I can see not many people have actually switch to the "the newest and the greatest" yet.

I am not going to write another review about Bill's lastest creation since there are countless reviews posted everywhere already. What I am here to do is to share my view whether "the lastest" is indeed always "the greatest"? In most cases, I guess newer should be better. In the case of Vista, it's a little of a mixed bag I guess. I have been using 64bits Windows Vista Home Premium for a little more than 4 months now and from what I experience, it's indeed a very stable operating system. I have yet to experience a crash or a blue screen apart from a few times where I have overclocked my cpu a tad too much :) Even if a game is totally crashed, I would still be able to recover from Windows task manager and return to Windows. So that is a big plus from crash-prone XP. Oh, did I mention?... Vista is by far the best looking Windows period!

Sadly, that's about the only 2 advantages of Vista I could gather from my experience. The biggest let down of Vista is that fact that you need a fairly decent computer to run it. As Microsoft has put it, to run Vista at its full potential with all the bells and whistles turned on, you need a computer with a WEI (Windows Experience Index) of equal to 5 or more. Now, Vista rated my E6400 @ default 2.13Ghz with WEI of 5 and at the time of purchase, E6400 was one of the fastest midrange chips out there! Good luck to those who are still running Pentium/Celeron. In addition, everything is running much slowly under Vista than with my good old XP :( Oh..one more thing, don't waste $400+ on new retail Windows Vista, just head to eBay and get yourself a geniune OEM version for less than half the price!

0 comments: