Sunday, November 22, 2009

Big Brother is here!

Yesterday I got my long awaited Canon 580exii, the Canon flagship flash accessory. Compared to my old 430ex, the biggest noticeable difference is its size and weight, and of course, the build quality. Do doubt this is a Canon professional flash unit built for tough life ahead. It has a metal footing at the bottom and all the switches, buttons and covers are water sealed. Of course, the only part that is not water-sealed when fitted onto my current cameras is the hot-shoe footing, which is only available on Canon 1d Mark III or newer. Well, not that I am going to shoot in the shower or anything like that, but I suppose it is nice to know :)

It is also a lot more quieter than 430ex and in my brief experiment last night, a hell lot stronger and faster. Not that 430ex is inadequate my any mean, I love my 430ex for its compact size but when you have flash modifier fitted on, such as a diffuser; or bouncing off higher roof, 430ex in some situations, could be a little under-powered.



1 Comment:

Pavithra said...

I have the 580EXII also! its a really nice flash. just stumbled onto ur blog...ur pictures are nice. and ur lens choices are good! :)