Friday, June 19, 2009

Meet my new family member :)

I remember when I first bought my first digital slr, the Canon 400D back in 2006, it came with a "twin lens" kit. They were the Canon EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and 70-300mm f4-5.6 and I thought they were all I need :) Was I wrong, or may be I am just getting greedier, collecting lenses are just so addictive hehe!

Today I added the 7th member to my growing family of lenses, the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS. This is an important milestone for me because I have never own any L-lens before and that also means the most expensive investment thus far. I can't really write much about this lens at the moment because I haven't got chance to use it outside yet due to the appalling weather today. However, I am going take it alone for my first mission tomorrow, a wedding to photograph! I did take a few shots indoor at home and I must say, it's money well spent! AF is fast and virtually silent and boy, this baby is sharp even at f2.8. From the few sample shots I have taken, the AF was spot on!

I was tossing between the IS and the non-IS version but I think I have made the right decision to go with the IS despite being some $700 more. Why? My left hand was starting to shake after holding the lens up shooting for less than 10mins :) The lens itself weighs a hefty 1.57kg and although it doesn't sound like much, but try to hold it up to your head with the camera attached for a few minute and you will know what I mean. All I can say is, it is a serious piece of equipment and I truely love it!

1 Comment:

pmhuei said...

I must agree the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 is a superior lens to own and used in many of my photographic events. I used to have a Sigma EX DG 70-200mm f/2.8 and i found it so justified to many of the events i covered, but it had all changed ever since i first put the Canon beast on my camera :) Congratulations on your wise investment!