Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

As I mentioned in my previous post, I brought this lens to Lisa & Tim's wedding for a test drive. I was very worried because firstly, this is a new lens that I have no experience using it with and secondly, Lisa slammed the title of their wedding photographer on me!

Well, I shot roughly 80% of my photos on the day with this lens and the results were stunning to say the least. It is a fairly fast lens and coupled with 2nd generation image stabilizer from Canon, it has made indoor/available light photography a breeze and a joy to use. I manage to get decent images even at shutter speed of around 1/10th of a second at 200mm and that's amazing. It definitely blew the conventional shutter speed rule of 1/focal length to pieces! The zoom ring is easy to use and very well dampened. During zooming and focusing, the length of the lens does not change, in fact, nothing physically changes outside the lens and it is also impossible to get lens creep.

There is already so much great thing being said about this lens on the net, I don't think there is anything left for me to add. There are only 2 things left on my wish list, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L (waiting for IS version) and Canon 5D MarkIII(?) :)

0 comments: