Thursday, March 19, 2009

Only a life lived for others is worth living

I couldn't even remember what was the last movie I wrote about in my blog. Not that I haven't watched any since then but none of them are really good enough for me to write about. I did come across some horribly bad, ill-conceived movies though, and a few good examples are the Babylon A.D. , Max Payne and The Day the Earth Stood Still - nearly 5 hours of my life wasted because of these three movies!

Well, finally I have a movie that's worth talking about - Ghost Town. Starring British comedian/producer Ricky Gervais as a dentist Dr Bertram Pincus who was discribed by his co-worker as "a f***ing prick", who absolutely loathed human race and had zero social skill. He gained the ability to communicate with the dead after momentarily dying during a blotched colonoscopy. Dr P was forced to mend his anti-social ways when he found himself haunted by ghosts who had unfinished businesses in the living world, including the suave Frank Herlihy (Greg Kinnear), who remains concerned for the future of his attactive but slightly eccentric Egyptologist wife (Tea Leoni). This romantic comedy is a total stand out from those typical romantic "Hugh Grant" style chic flicks.

It's not the type of "laughing out loud" comedy but it was just so brilliantly made! 4.5 stars from me. Big thank you to Karen for recommending this movie :)

p/s for a LOL comedy, you can't go past Death at a Funeral, it's an instant classic!

0 comments: