Friday, January 30, 2009

Harmony 785

With 5 remote controllers littered around our coffee table, I think it's about time I do something about it. Using multiple remotes is not only cumbersome, but also a little frustrating if you happen to misplace one of them.

Well, not anymore with this clever product from Logitech. The Harmony 785 comes with a docking station which charges the remote when it's not in use. Setting up the remote controller was a breeze with the software package enclosed. All I need to do was list out all the model numbers of devices that I wanted to be controlled by it and the software did the rest by downloading the neccesary codes onto the remote. It also has the ability to "learn" new IR funtions from existing remotes via the software. The harmony 785 has a built-in motion sensor which activate the screen and all the buttons whenever the remote is picked up.

The remote has a small colour LCD screen that will help you navigate through different devices and "activities" installed on the remote. Devices are grouped under various "activities" and by selecting the particular activity, it will turn on all neccessary devices needed to launch the activity while turning off other components that are not needed. For instance, by selecting "Watch DVD" on the menu, the remote will turn on the TV, AV receiver and DVD player with the push of a button. Because it has the ability to "learn", it can be set to control virtually everything that has remote in the house, including the air-conditioning unit, heating as well as my media PC!

2 comments:

WAYNE SEOW said...

That's cool! Been meaning to get one myself but I've been too cheap to buy one. Wonder if I can return all my remotes for a refund if I no longer need them? :)

kimtojin said...

Yea, if you find out, please let me know :) But I think it's worth getting one of this, I was wondering why I didn't get it earlier! I wish it can also control life too...like the one in the movie "click" lol!