Friday, August 3, 2007

Food for thought

While I was having a quick lunch yesterday at work, I skimmed across SWAPS August newsletter which is aptly titled "What's in a name?". If you work in a drug store, you are probably trying to push the sale of so called "home brand" or chemist own products through the roof and hopefully making lots of profit in return. If you are a consumer going to a chemist to buy a product, chances are you will probably be talked into buying one of those "home brand" alternative as well.

This is all well and good but one problem. The problem is when a customer comes in and asks for a branded line because they have used it successfully before, or they have seen it advertised on TV, and then they are "talked into" a different product, sometimes you can win and sometimes you can lose. You can win because you are probably making a much bigger margin on the sale, you can lose because the customer may not be satisfied with the results and guess what, they may not come back and tell you that. In fact, they may just not return at all.

Home brands and brand substitution when it comes to healthcare is a totally different ball game all together. Unlike supermarket where you have the option of choosing a home brand cookies and if they are no good, you just bin them. Healthcare is a very sensitive issue and consumers are aware of that and are taking it much more seriously than, let say, choosing a box of cookies.

Provide a "value" service, because at the end of the day, that's what matters to customers, not the cheapest, but the best perceived value. After all, those companies who own those big brand products are the ones who are spending big money advertising and driving consumers to your pharmacy. Don't try and beat the supermarkets at their own game!

11 comments:

SAKN said...

The best prawn in the world.
http://www.prawnpark.blogspot.com

kimtojin said...

Thanks for dropping by but I don't really understand what you meant :) Sorry...

WAYNE SEOW said...

Maybe it's tandoori prawn?

kimtojin said...

Hymm...I prefer curry prawn, extra spicy :) So are we still going to get your Crumpler this Sat?

WAYNE SEOW said...

Yeah, if you're free. We can checkout a few lenses as well maybe?

kimtojin said...

Yeap...should be cool, just sms me on Sat when u ready :)

Shaun said...

Hi!
I was looking at your flickr account and thought I'd let you know that I think your photos are fantastic. Are they all taken with a Cannon 400D? What lens do you use or do you have more than one?
I'm considering buying a Canon 400D
so thats why i'm asking all the questions. :)

-
peace.

kimtojin said...

Hi Shaun, Thanks for visiting my blog :) Yea..all my photos are taken with 400D. My favourite lens is the 17-85mm IS USM lens that is available with the "enthusiast kit". I also use 75-300mm USM for most of wildlife shots. You won't regret with the 400D because it's one of the top camera for features & quality vs price ratio :)

Shaun said...

Hi, thanks for your response!

I did buy myself a 400D this Saturday at Teds camera store(in Adelaide).

I got the enthusiast kit as most of the reviews I had read said it was a good all round lens.

I've been taking pics all day today(Sunday) and Saturday night.
I'm glad to hear one of the camera lenses you have is the one I have as I aspire to take photos as good as yours!

I will have to save for awhile to buy the other lens as well!

peace.

WAYNE SEOW said...

Hey Kim, Canon's just released the 40D. Looks like an amazing camera. I think Nam's going to buy one. Likewise, Nikon's just released the D300. Feature for feature they match each other almost exactly!
I'm going to get the 105mm macro in December, so let me know if you want to try and get a deal together.

Shaun, happy shooting! You're going to have alot of fun. Better start saving, photography has a habit of emptying your wallet :P

kimtojin said...

Hi Shaun.. That's good news! I am sure you will enjoy your new toy as much as I did and I still do every single weekend! One thing I have learnt from my experience is do not afraid to use your camera...you will hear scary things like dust and shutter lifespan but don't worry about any of those...just keep shooting :))

Hi Wayne...yes I am very interesting in getting macro lens. I will get either Canon 100mm f2.8 or Sigma 150mm f2.8 (more interested in this one). Let me know when you are ready :) 40D...I am sure it's very good...but I will wait for 50D or something...I am still very much in love my 400D hehe! Besides, my wallet is already pretty much empty :P