Monday, August 30, 2010

Right to Photograph

After lunch at Mal's house, we stayed and chatted for a good few hours about various topics from photography to environmental issues :) Apparently there was a protest in Sydney yesterday about the right for photographers. Details of the protest can be found here.

How ridiculous it would be if you are required to purchase a license/permit to photograph at any of the public location/building! I know these "restrictions" mainly apply to commercial photographers but how are they going to police it? How are they going to know if I am not a commercial photographer or does it mean if someone wants to buy a right to one of my photo, it would be illegal for me to sell my work because I am not commercially motivated?

Here is a quote from the article itself:

"The Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority requires commercial photographers to pay a minimum $150 AUD ($141 Cdn) per session if more than 10 crew are involved. That's in addition to $65 an hour for a site co-ordinator, $65 an hour for security and an additional $65 an hour for cleaning. Each of those services must be paid a minimum four hours."

Seriously, if you were going to shoot a wedding at outside of the Opera House, do you need a site co-ordinator just in case you lost your mind or a security guard just in case if you were attacked by a mad dog. And, $65 an hour for cleaning? You cannot be serious!

Stop making photographers feel like criminals!!

1 Comment:

Chausinho said...

So what will happend if I go there as Tourist and take a lot of photos,.. shalll I paid ?? maybe I am not afraid about this rule,.. as I will go for visit all "nice/touristic places" shall I paid so much for each one?? so will paid 1000€ for the fligh and how much to have right's for takle photos in such public places ??

If I am a tourist and take several photos from all the things and when I arrive home sell all for comertial use to one Australian citizen,... what will happend,...

Seems you are going to pay just for walk in the town,.....

Crazy things.