Sunday, October 5, 2008

Through camera lens

Ever wonder why sometimes photos look different from realities? Well, I am not talking about the result of acne/mole touch up using PS but through perspective distortion by your camera lens. The distortion is most apparent if the object being photographed is placed too close a wide-angle lens. This is also the very reason why wide angle lenses and long telephoto lenses do not make ideal portrait lenses. Objects closer to wide-angle lens will almost always appear larger and disproportionate to the rest of the objects away from the lens (big nose??). In contrary, objects will always appear a bit flatter if a really long telephoto lens is used. Personally, I find that my 100mm macro lens is a very capable portrait lens and I will keep saving up money for my dream portrait lens, Canon 85mm f/1.2L :)

0 comments: